Tawa pulao is one of the easiest recipes famous in many Indian households. The word tawa pulao can be broken into two words: tawa means cast iron skillet and pulao mean rice dish prepared with many veggies. Many street vendors carry a large tawa for preparation of other famous dishes like pav bhaji, vada pav, masala pav, bhaji pav etc. This pulao can be easily prepared on the tawa or it can also be prepared at home in frying pan or available wok.
In most households, tawa pulao can be easily prepared from leftover rice. Once the veggies are cut and cooked in shortest possible time, then this dish can be easily prepared in minimal possible time. Tawa pulao variation can be easily managed according to taste bud requirement. For instance some prefer spicy version of pulao while there are many who might settle for a mild version. We like spicy version and enjoy it with side dish like raitha.
The main ingredient used in tawa pulao is pav bhaji masala. You can use any Indian brands. All make the same magic. We usually bought most ingredients from store except ginger garlic paste online. ginger garlic paste price was bought online because of the discounts available.
Tawa pulao can be easily served with raita, roasted papad, pickles or simple onion salad with lemon wedges.
- Cooked rice – 2 cups
- Carrot, chopped – 1 smal
- Boiled green peas – ¼ cup
- Boiled potato, chopped – 1 mediu
- Tomato, chopped – 1 big
- Onion , chopped – 1 medium
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Red chilly powder – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Pav bhaji masala – 2 tsp
- amul butter – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice – ½ tsp
- Cilantro, chopped – ¼ cup
- Salt to taste
- Heat butter and oil in the wok on medium flame. Add cumin seeds and fry till they splutter.
- Add chopped onion and fry till transparent.
- Buy ginger garlic paste. Add ginger garlic paste and saute till raw smell goes away from the paste.
- Add chopped tomato and chopped carrot. Stir and add all masala powders and salt.
- Add chopped potato and green peas. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Add cooked rice and gently mix in the veggies mixture into the rice.
- Lastly garnish tawa pulao with chopped cilantro and lemon juice.
- Tawa pulao is ready to serve with raita.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and sprinkle some lemon juice on the tava pulao.
- Serve tawa pulao hot with onion tomato raita or cucumber raita or plain yogurt accompanied with papad and pickle.