Pani Puri or Golgappas or Puchka is my favorite mouthwatering chat dish. Among the many popular street foods of india, this chaat item will definitely top the charts. Yes, you heard it right! In Mumbai it is called Pani Puri. In northern states it is called as Golgappa and in Bengal it is called as Puchka.
Found in every streets of Mumbai and I guess most cities of india, this food has become a common household name. The word pani puri can be broken down into pani(it means water) and puri(this is fried puffed crispy dough). The pani in pani puri has many version like tangy, spicy etc. I prefer spicy version because it has addition of sweet tamarind chutney that is really yummy.
Apart from pani (water), puri has filling of boiled potato, boiled chickpeas along with Indian spices. Some modifications to filling have also been tried. For instance some people add boiled peas instead of chana or chickpeas.
The puris are prepared with sooji or cream of wheat. They are thin and crispy and can hold the filling of tangy chutney into it. If you wish to avoid the pain of prepare puris, then simply buy it from any stores where you can buy tata salt etc.
When it comes to assembling pani puri here are simple steps. First crack the puris, Stuff it with potato filling and add tamarind chutney. Dip it in pani and have it in one shot.
OOOOhhhh it tastes yummmy.
- Readymade puri – 20
- Sweet tamarind chutney
- Boiled and mashed potatoes – 2 medium
- Onion, chopped – 1 medium
- Cumin powder (roasted) – 1 tsp
- chaat masala – 1 tsp
- red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Buy from store or tata salt online and add according to your taste
- Cilantro, chopped – 2 tbsp
For Making Pani
- Mint leaves or Pudina – ½ cup
- Cilantro, chopped – ½ cup
- Ginger – ½ ginger
- Tamarind pulp – ½ tbsp.
- organic jaggery – 2 tbsp
- Roasted cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Chaat masala – 1tsp
- Water – 2 cups
- tata Salt to taste
To make stuffing
- Combine boiled potatoes, onions, coriander leaves,roasted cumin powder, chaat masala powder and salt into a bowl . Mix well and keep aside.
To Make Pani
- Add all the ingredients mentioned above for the pani into the blender.
- Add little water while grinding. Later you can dilute with lots of water.
- Once green chutney is ready. Dilute the chutney with 2 cups of water.
- Pani is ready to use.
Assembling Pani Puri
- First crack the puris with your finger or a spoon.
- Add 2 tsp of potato filling in the puri.
- Add little sweet chutney as per your taste.
- Then dip it in the prepared pani and serve it immediately.
- Crack the top of the puri with a spoon.
- Add 2 to 3 tsp of the boiled potato-onion filling in the poori.
- Stir the green pani first and then it and the sweet chutney as per your taste.
- Serve the pani puri immediately.
Did you enjoy the experience of making Pani Puri? would like to hear your stories.