Aloo Jeera or Jeera Aloo is the easy and quick potato dish. This recipe is mainly famous in north India. The ingredient used to flavoured the potatoes are basically the cumin seeds. Cumin seeds is known as Jeera in India. People prefer to add the cumin seed powder to flavour the dish. But I wanted some whole roasted cumin seeds with the potatoes, so added the jeera at the time of seasoning. These roasted cumin seeds enhances the more flavour of cumin seeds in the dish. I usually like to serve aloo jeera as a side dish with ghee rice or with any plain paratha.
- Boiled Potatoes - 3 medium
- Cumin seeds or jeera - 1 tbsp
- Green chillies - 2 no's, slitted
- Ginger - 1/2 inch, grated
- Dry mango powder or amchur powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Dry fenugreek powder or kasoori methi - 1tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro - 2 tbsp
- Boil the potatoes and cut them into 2 inch of pieces.
- Place a pan on the medium flame and add the oil into it.
- When oil heats up, add asafoetida, cumin seeds, green chillies, ginger, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilly powder, garam masala, amchur powder, kasoori methi and salt. Fry everything well for few seconds.
- Then add in the boiled potato pieces and mix everything well until the potato pieces are fully coated with the fried masala. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Lastly garnish the jeera aloo with chopped cilantro.
- Aloo jeera is ready to serve with ghee rice or with some plain paratha.