Now a days people like to use daliya or lapsi or fada or cracked wheat in their recipe in different way. It is easily available in all Indian grocery stores.Daliya has high content of fibre and it really helps in energy boosting. Now a days you will find daliya in many variety from fine to coarse variety. There are many recipes too that can be made using daliya. It can be rich porrigde for morning breakfast, simple pulav or khichdi and also various sweet dishes. In Gujarat , people call daliya as fada , they prepare this sweet dish which is serve mainly on navaratri. In
Maharashtra, people make daliya sheera on ugadi or chaturthi and on many festivals.
Earlier I had posted Lapsi pudding accompanied with strawberry jelly. Today I am here with the post of Lapsi sheera . As I mentioned earlier, sheera recipes whether it is lapsi sheera or rava sheera are very famous in Maharashtra because you will mostly find them in complete thali of Maharashtra as one sweet dish along with shrikhand , puran poli and other dishes . Very soon I planning to post the complete Maharashtrian Thali, so thought to share this post first so that I can share it in detail. This is very simple making sweet dish with few ingredients and it tastes heavenly delicious. So lets see how to make it and stay tuned for my very soon upcoming Maharashtrian Thali.
- Lapsi (Daliya, cracked wheat, fada) - 1/2 cup
- Coconut - 1/4 cup (scraped, I used fresh one )
- Jaggery - 1/2 cup (grated, can be sweetened using upto 3/4 cup depends on one's taste)
- Milk - 1/4 cup
- Water - 1&1/2 cups
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Cashewnuts and almonds - 3 tbsp (broken into pieces)
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
- Place a pan on medium flame and add ghee into it.
- When ghee heats up, add cashewnuts and almonds. Fry them till light golden in colour. Take out the nuts in the plate and in the same ghee roast the daliya till they slightly changes its colour.
- Parallelly boil the water and milk together into another pot.
- Now slowly add the boiling milk and water mixture into roasted daliya. Mix well and also be careful during this process , because the mixture might splutter. So for safety, turn off the flame and pour the mixture into the roasted daliya.
- Cover the daliya and cook for few minutes over medium flame.
- Then add fresh coconut. Stir well.
- When you see the daliya is fully cooked, add grated jaggery and dry fruits. Mix well till jaggery completely melts in the daliya mixture. Until now the mixture should turn in the semi thick consistency. so this is the right time to cook the sheera on very low flame.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well for one last time. Cover and cook the sheera on low flame for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Before you serve let sheera rest for atleast for 15 to 20 minutes. This will make sheera to enchance more of its taste.
- Here we go Lapsi sheera is ready to serve.