Hello everyone...Wish you all a Happy Ugadi. May this new year filled with all the wealthy and prosperous essence of life. Today on this day I would like to post sheera poli. Sheer Poli is kind of obattu or poli with semolina and coconut filling. I hope you will try and enjoy this dish.
Talking about this festival, Ugadi symbolizes the wealthy essence of our life that is happiness, sadness, anger, fear, disgust and surprise. Traditionally this occasion is celebrated by having ugadi mix or you can say as ugadi pachadi. It is mix of few ingredients which symbolizes the flavors of our life.
The sweetness of jaggery symbolizes the happiness
The bitterness of neem leaves symbolizes the sadness
The tangyness of raw mango symbolizes the surprise
The spicyness of pepper symbolizes the anger
The sourness of tamarind symbolizes the disgust
The saltiness of salt symbolizes the fear
For Outer Cover
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Semolina - 1/4 cup
- Salt - a pinch
- Water – To knead
- Oil - 1/8 cup
- Semolina - 1 cup
- Coconut - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1 1/4 cup
- Milk - 1 1/4 cup
- Sugar - 1 1/2 cup
- Rice flour - 1 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
For Making Outer Cover
- Into a wide add all the ingredients that is all purpose flour, semolina, salt and water
- Knead the flour by adding water to make a soft dough.
- Now add oil and smear all over the dough
- Cover and keep it aside for 4 hrs.
For Making Filling
- Roast the semolina with 1/4 tsp of ghee and switch off the flame.
- Parallely heat the milk and water.
- Add the rice flour and coconut to the roasted Semolina and mix well. Do need of roasting. Keep it aside.
- Now add the hot milk to the semolina – coconut mixture, mix well to avoid lumps.
- When the mixture thicken, add sugar and mix well.
- Once all the liquid is absorbed, switch of the flame and allow it to cool. When the filling is hand bearable make 14 equal sized small balls.
- Similarly divide the dough to 14 equal sized balls
- Using a plastic sheet, take a dough ball and flatten to small round disc. Then keep the stuffing in the middle of disc.
- Now pull the edges of the disc in the middle. Seal it and make a ball out of it.
- Flatten the ball using your hands and then using the rolling pin make a very thin disc like chapathi .Make sure edges are equally thin.
- Heat the tava. Spread some oil onto the tava and place the poli . Fry them on both the sides on medium flame by smearing little oil.
- Remove the poli once you see small golden patches on both the sides.
- Sheera Poli is ready to serve.