Sasam is actually a name origin from ingredient – Mustard seeds. Yes, mustard seeds is the key ingredient in the sasam recipes. These sasam recipes can be prepared with any vegetable. Method of preparation remains the same. As you know Beetroot has a beautiful color and also makes the dish to look pretty and also they are great on tastebuds In this recipe, cooked beetroot pieces are mixed in the mustard flavored yogurt gravy. The flavor of gravy by the ground mustard seeds to the entire dish is superb and quite addictive. Such recipes goes well with plain rice and sometimes also with rice and dal. Altogether makes a wholesome and tasty meal.
- Beetroot, finely chopped- 1 medium sized
- Thick yogurt -1 cup
- Salt to taste
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE A PASTE
- Grated coconut (fresh/frozen) – ½ cup
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Green chilly - 1
- Oil – 1 tsp
INGREDIENTS FOR TADKA OR SEASONING
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Dried red chilly - 1
- Curry leaves – 5
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Finely chop the beetroot and put it into pot along with little water. Cover and cook till beetroot pieces becomes soft and tender. This may take about 6 to 8 minutes. Allow it to cool down.
- In a seasoning pan , heat oil and fry green chilly until you see white spots on it.
- Then grind coconut, mustard seeds, tumeric powder and fried green chilly to a fine paste using 3 to 4 tbsp of water.
- Now in a bowl, combine yogurt, cooked beetroot, grounded paste and salt. Mix everything well.
- In a same seasoning pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds and let it splutter for 15 seconds.
- Then add asafetida, dried red chilly (cut into pieces) and curry leaves. Fry for 10 seconds.
- Pour this seasoning over the yogurt- beetroot mixture and mix well.
- Beetroot sasam is ready to serve along with rice or some time as a side dish along with rice and dal.