Pickle is one condiment which is loved by most of the people. I too like it alot. But never tried any fish or non veg pickles. So thought to give a try. Believe my try was successful and pickle was super yummy and delicious. In this recipe, I used tilaphia fish fillet but you can make the pickle with any type of boneless or thorn-less fish. With the similar process one can also prepare prawn pickle or shrimps pickle. Very soon I shall come with shrimp pickle, till then let's see how to make the fish pickle.
- Boneless fish – 3 Fillet, chopped in small cubes( I used tilaphia fillet)
- Ginger- 2 inch
- Garlic- 1 whole
- Green chilly- 7
- Chilly powder- 1 &1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Mustard powder- 3/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- Fenu greek powder- 1/2 tsp
- Clove- 4
- Vinegar- ¼ cup
- Curry leaves – 5 to 6
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp + few spoon of oil to fry the fish cubes
- Cut fish into small cubes and pat dry the cubes using paper towel.
- Add tuneric powder, ½ tsp of red chilly powder and salt in the fish cubes and marinate it for 10 minutes.
- Till then add ginger, garlic , cloves, green chillies and curry leaves in the mixer and grind it to coarse mixture. Do not grind these ingredients to smooth paste, coarse mixture is recommended.
- Then fry the marinated fish cubes in oil till they are cooked evenly on both the sides. Take out the cubes on to the plate .Keep them aside.
- In the same pan add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter for 20 seconds.
- Then add grounded coarse mixture and sauté it till raw smell goes off.
- Add salt, remaining red chilly powder and fry again for a minute.
- Now add mustard powder, fenugreek powder and mix well.
- Finally add fried fish cubes and vinegar. Mix everything well and simmer on low flame for atleast 1 to 2 minutes.
- Once done, allow the pickle to cool down and then store it in air tight container.
- Even though the pickle stays well outside, I prefer to refrigerate it for freshness.
- Mustard seed powder and fenugreek powder are easily available in stores but you can also easily prepare it at home.
- The same process can be used to prepare shrimp pickle or prawn pickle.