Rajma Chawal is the very popular combo meal of
Punjab. The rajma masala
posted today is prepared in dhaba style. Truly telling I was really impressed
by its taste, even my hubby appreciated me for this special rajma chawal.When
you will taste this masala with rice you may surely get the feel of dhaba. This
rajma masala also goes well with roti,
phulka etc. So try this super duper combo meal.
Now a days you know there are variety of rajma available. I always like to use light red colored ones which cooks faster than kashmiri rajma which are dark brown in colour.
- Rajma /Red Kidney Beans – 1 cup
- Onion,chopped – 1 big
- Tomatoes,chopped – 2 medium
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 3 big cloves
- Red chilly powder – ¾ tsp to 1 tsp
- Tumeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – ½ tsp
- Amchur powder – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1&1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro – To garnish
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon stick – ½ inch
- Green cardamom – 2 pods
- Bay leaf – 1
- Green chillies – 1, slitted
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Wash and soak rajma in water for about 7 to 8 hours or overnight.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil and add cinnamon stick ,black cardamom, bay leaf, asafetida, green chilli and fry for a minute.
- Grind onions and tomatoes into a smooth puree.
- Also grind ginger and garlic into smooth paste or else you can use ginger garlic paste.
- Now add the grounded onion-tomato mixture, ginger-garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes off.
- Now add all the dry masala powder red chili powder, tumeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, amchur powder and salt and fry until oil leaves the edges.
- Add rajma and fry for another 2 minutes everything and cover it and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure compleely releases out,open the cooker lid and check the gravy consistency. Add required amount of water and boil for another 5 minutes.
- Finally garnish the gravy with chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot with steamed basmatic rice or jeera rice.