Raita always brings a twist in our meals and also increases the taste. It is also said that raita apart from increasing the taste of the meals, it also helps in digestion purpose. Before I was not too fond of raita, but now a days I feel my meals are incomplete without any raita or any plain salad. So tried this raita recipe known as Baigan Raita or Dahi Baigan . This is the one delicious yogurt based seasoned salad made with eggplants or brinjal. This is very simple and easy to prepare if you have eggplants handy in your kitchen.
- Small eggplant, thinly diced - 5 nos (as shown in above image)
- Thick yogurt - 1&1/4 cups
- Cilantro, chopped - 2 tbsp
- Crushed red chillies - 1&1/2 tsp
- Tumeric powder - 1/8 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1&1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/8 tsp
- Curry leaves - 5
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 1 tsp +1 tsp
- Wash and thinly dice the eggplants into small pieces. Microwave the pieces along with pinch of salt and 1 tsp of oil until the eggplant pieces are soft and tender.
- Beat the yogurt till you get smooth texture. Add in cooked eggplant pieces , another pinch of salt and chopped cilantro. Mix everything well.
- Heat oil in the seasoning pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, crushed red chillies, asafoetida, curry leaves and tumeric powder. Fry everything for 1 minute and pour it into yogurt mixture and mix well.
- Baigan raita is ready to serve