Calicut Halwa or Kozhikodan Halwa is the famous kerala style wheat halwa. This halwa has rubbery yet soft texture which melts when put into mouth. The Calicut halwa are available in many flavours like pineapple, banana. I tried to make this halwa in traditional way that is using jaggery . One can also use brown sugar which also gives the same taste. Dont worry, one can also use regular sugar if jaggery or brown sugar is not available. Making this halwa is not at all difficult, only it requires exercise that is the continuous stirring the halwa. Believe me this halwa will be really tasty with your dedicated exercise.
So go try it and enjoy......
- Wheat flour - 1 cup
- Jaggery or Brown sugar - 1&1/2 cup
- Water - 4 cups
- Coconut oil - 1/2 cup ( vegetable oil can be used)
- Cardamom powder -1 tsp
- Cashews and raisins - 1/4 cup
- Food colour -red (optional)
- Combine wheat flour and water. Mix well to form a thin consistency mixture.
- Then strain the flour mixture to avoid any lumps.
- Heat the sugar, when it starts to caramelize add 1/4 cup of hot water to form a thick sugar syrup.
- When the syrup starts to boil, slowly add flour mixture and stir it continuously until the halwa comes to the thick consistency.
- When the halwa thickens, add oil and stir continuously until the oil incorporates well into the halwa.
- Add cardamom powder and dry fruits. If your using food colour,add it at this point.
- Now continuously mix the mixture till you get the thick dough kind of mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into greased plate.
- Let the mixture cool down and then cut the halwa into desired pieces.