Gulab Jamun are very popular Indian traditional sweet. most popular desserts! This delicious sweet consists of dumplings traditionally made of Khoya (khoya- the condensed milk thickened till it turns into moist dough, preferably made from cow’s milk, also known as Hariyali mawa), soaked in rose flavored sugar syrup. But these sweet can be prepared with dry milk powder instead of Khoya. The result is always the same. The name Gulab jamun means that "Gulab" means rose(for the rose flavored syrup) and "Jamun" which is a kind of deep brown milk balls (the cooked dumplings are dark brown in color). Serve Gulab Jamun warm or chilled by itself or topped with ice cream.So lets see the recipes..........
Yield : 28 Gulab Jamun
- Dry milk powder – 1 cup
- All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp (little less than this)
- Heavy cream or Milk – 1/2 cup
- Oil – for frying
- Sugar – 2 &1/2 cups
- Water – 3 cups
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Few drops lemon juice - To avoid crystallization
- Rose essence – ½ tsp
- Almonds,sliced – To garnish
- Sift the milk powder , all purpose flour and baking soda together into one bowl.
- Add required quantity of heavy cream or yogurt and knead the flour mixture to form soft and sticky dough .
- Cover the sticky dough and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes you will see the dough is of proper consistency. While making balls if you feel dough getting dry, add more milk and knead well.
- Meanwhile combine sugar and water into sauce pan. Once the syrup starts to boil, add few drops of lemon to avoid crystallization and then cook it on the medium flame till the syrup thickens.
- Then add cardamom powder and rose essence. Mix well and keep the syrup aside.
- Divide the dough into small 28 equal sized balls. Smooth out the balls by applying little ghee on to your palms.
- Heat the oil into the pan and and fry these balls on low flame till they are dark golden in color.
- Then soak the fried balls into sugar syrup for atleast 30 minutes and once the jamuns absorbs the syrup, they become more soft and just melts into your mouth. You can also served theGulab Jamuns with ice cream.
- So do try it and let me know your comments.