Aloo Paratha is the popular Indian flatbread prepared with whole wheat dough and potato stuffing. It is easy and delicious flatbread always served with yogurt or butter.
For Outer Cover
- Whole wheat flour - 1&1/2 cup
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Carom seeds(Ajwain) - 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water - 1/2 cup ( adjust to make soft dough)
For Filling or Stuffing
- Potatoes - 2 large
- Onion, chopped - 1 medium
- Green chillies - 2
- Ginger - garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Cilantro, chopped - 3 tbsp
- Tumeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Kasoori methi - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
For outer cover
- Combine whole wheat flour, carom seeds, salt and oil. Mix everything well.
- Prepare the soft dough by adding required amount of water.
- Cover the dough using plastic sheet and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Boil the potato and mashed it using masher.
- Place the pan on medium flame and add oil into it.
- When oil heats up, add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Then add curry leaves, green chilly and ginger garlic paste. Saute till raw smell goes off from the paste.
- Add chopped onion and fry till onion are light brown in colour.
- Add mashed potato and all dry masala powder.Mix everything well.
- Add salt. Mix the mixture again.
- Sprinkle few drops of water to the mixture.Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Then mix in crushed kasoori methi. cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and add lemon juice and chopped cilantro. Mix well
- Spread the stuffing mixture into one plate and allow the mixture to cool down.
- Then divide the stuffing mixture into 5 portion.
- Also divide the dough into 5 medium size balls
- Roll out the dough into small circle.
- Place the stuffing at the centre of the rolled dough and seal the dough into all the sides.
- Flatten the sealed dough in between your palms and dust into dry dough.
- Now gently roll the parathas . Fry the paratha on both the sides. you can use oil or ghee while frying the pararthas.
- Aloo Paratha is ready to serve with yogurt or pickles.