Hasale means sweet dish prepared by mixing fruit pieces into milk and jaggery. The popular choice of this recipe is Cantaloupe.It is the easiest form of dessert can be prepared in minute. In India, we get special variety of cantaloupe which has soft skin and when ripe the skin by itself comes out and smells very good. Cantaloupe is known as 'Chibbada' in Konkani and the other part of India calls it as 'Kharbooja'.The konkani people consume this fruit in lot especially during summer time to beat the heat. So let start with.....
- Cantaloupe or Muskmelon,riped - 1 medium (about 2&1/2cups)
- Thick poha (Beaten rice) - 1/4 cup
- Milk - 1 cup
- Grated jaggery/ Brown sugar - 1/2 cup ( I like to use jaggery for this particular recipe)
- Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
- Cashenuts or almonds - optional
- Peel out the skin of the cantaloupe(chibbda or kharbooja),remove all the seeds and cut it into small pieces.
- Blend the half the quantity of the pieces to smooth puree and keep the remaining pieces aside.
- In big bowl,combine milk and grated jaggery. Mix well till the jaggery completely dissolves in the milk.
- Then add poha( beaten rice) into the milk mixture. When the poha becomes soft, add the blended puree, remaining pieces of the cantaloupe and cardamom powder to the mixture.Mix everything well.
- If want you can add dryfruits of your choice.
- Before serving refrigerate the mixture and serve chill.
- Chibbada Hasale is ready to serve