Lo Mein means " stirred noodles" is the most popular take out food in American restaurants. Lo Mein is prepared with a wheat flour noodles, stirred with sauce, variety of vegetables and other seasoning. Chicken Lo mein, shrimp lo mein, lobster lo mein and House lo mein ( more than one meat) are also available.
- Spaghetti noodles (Whole wheat noodles)- 1/2 lb
- Onion (sliced) -1 medium
- Red bell pepper( julienne) - 1 big
- Mushroom(sliced ) - 1
- Carrot (julienne) - 1
- Cabbage (julienne) - 1 cup
- Scallions - a smal bunch
- Fresh ginger - 1 &1/2 inch
- Minced garlic - 1 tsp
- Sweet and sour sauce - 2 tbsp
- Soya Sauce - 4 tbsp
- Hot sauce - 1 tbsp
- Oyster sauce - 2 tbsp ( optional, can be replaced by soya sauce)
- Corn starch - 1 tsp
- Salt -1/4 tsp ( as needed)
- Sesame oil - 2 tbsp
- Boil the spaghetti as the package instructions.When cooked drain and rinse with ice cold water.This avoids sticking of noodles.
- Wash the vegetables and cut them into lengthwise. Grate the ginger using fine grater.
- Combine soya sauce, sweet and sour sauce ,hot sauce, corn starch and salt in small bowl .Mix well.
- Place the skillet on high flame and add sesame oil into it.
- When oil heats up, add minced ginger, minced garlic and sliced onion. Stir well.
- Then add all the vegetables and combined sauce mixture.
- Cook till raw smell of sauces disappears, do not overcook,this will make vegetables to lose its crunchiness.
- Quickly stir in boiled spaghetti and stir fry for about 3 minutes.
- Chicken or any seafood can be used interchangeably in this versatile dish.
- The more we make this dish, the more ginger is added.