The name "Surti locho" originates from the Surat. Surat is commonly known as capital city of Indian state of Gujarat.
Surti Locho is the famous street food of gujarat,can be enjoyed anytime.
- Chana dal - 1& 1/2 cups
- Urad dal(Blackgram) -1/2 cup
- Poha(Beaten rice) - 1/2 cup
- Green chilly paste - 1 tsp
- Ginger paste - 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Tumeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Eno fruit salt - 1&1/2 tsp
- Crushed black pepper (pepper powder can be used)
- Onion chopped
- Cilantro chopped
- Fine sev
- Salt to taste
- Soak chana dal and urad dal separately for about 6 to 7 hours.
- Soak the beaten rice 10 minutes before the grinding process starts.
- Grind the dals along with soaked beaten rice to the smooth thick batter.
- To the batter add green chilly paste,ginger paste,tumeric powder and salt.
- Mix everything well.
- Do not allow the batter to ferment.
- Add eno fruit salt just before steaming.
- Pour the batter into the greased plate and add crushed black pepper and paprika.
- Steam it for about 18 to 20 minutes or till done.
- You can check the locho by inserting knife,if knife comes out clean that means Locho is done.
- For steaming I used pressure cooker.
- Surti locho can be served by adding chopped onion,cilantro,lemonjuice and finally fine sev.
- Surti locho is always served hot.